DEAR FELLOW TRAVELER, GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME:
I personally welcome all to Central’s web site. We welcome our members and our friends; we welcome our visitors and all who are on this Christian journey. We welcome all who seek fellowship with others of like precious faith; we welcome all who are seeking a closer relationship with Christ; and we welcome the curious.
Central Christian is a congregation that is seeking God’s will for us as we journey toward renewal and transformation. We are a congregation with a long and grand heritage within the Disciples of Christ. We believe God is calling us to demonstrate love in all its forms to those around us and to the world at large. We are Christians only but not the only Christians. As such, we believe that the Church is essentially a unified body of which each congregation and denomination is a part. Our only creedal statement is: Jesus is the Christ the Son of the Living God. Because Christ is our only creed, we embrace everyone who names Christ as Lord as a brother or sister in Christ regardless of our diverse non-essential doctrines. We believe that the Bible—particularly the New Testament—is our only authority of faith and practice.
Always remember: GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME!!
Pastor Douglas Shoaff
Intentional Interim Minister
Who we are and what we do:
We welcome all who believe in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior to partake of communion each time we gather for worship.
We worship together to express our common belief in Jesus Christ and to thank God for all we have by celebrating our salvation, receiving the Holy Spirit, offering thanks, being inspired and giving praise in song.
What we do differently, and well:
We grow in faith by encouraging spiritual growth through adult and children’s education programs, empowering involvement in outreach projects and activities, and praying and playing together.
Why you need to know about Central Christian Church:
We accept you wherever you are on your faith journey – a journey we are all taking together – by respecting personal beliefs and differences.
What Disciples Believe
Like most Christians, Disciples affirm:
- Jesus Christ is the son of the Living God
- All persons are God’s children
Beliefs and practices usually associated with Disciples include:
- Open Communion. The Lord’s Supper, or Communion is celebrated in weekly worship. It is open to all who believe in Jesus Christ.
- Freedom of belief. Disciples are called together around one essential of faith: belief in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. Persons are free to follow their consciences guided by the Bible, the Holy Spirit study and prayer, and are expected to extend that freedom to others.
- Baptism by immersion. In baptism, the old self-centered life is set aside, and a new life of trust in God begins. Although Disciples practice baptism by immersion, other baptism traditions are honored.
- Belief in the oneness of the church. All Christians are called to be one in Christ and to seek opportunities for common witness and service.
- The ministry of believers. Both ministers and lay persons lead in worship, service and spiritual growth.
If you are searching for a church home that is inclusive and accepting, we welcome you to Central Christian. Come, worship, study, break bread with us in fellowship, work side-by-side with others volunteering in our outreach programs, or join one of our recreation programs.
Your youngsters and teens will experience a Christian education program with activities focused for their age group. These activities assist the young people to grow, mature and become outstanding young adults, young Christians.
Through involvement in Central’s activities, we promise, you will form enduring friendships among a community of fine people dedicated to serving others.